Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boat day


I am a terrible person.

Yesterday I forgot to blog, leaving you all in “a world of darkness.” Actually, I’m sure no one is seriously distressed about it…right?

I nearly forgot again today. We just got home from our day at sea, aka “boat day.” I’ve been so pumped about boat day for the past two weeks. Since Monday, every time I am leaving one of my friends I say “Ok! See you for boat day!” and I kept getting reminded that boat day was still several days away and I would see them again before then.

This is really similar to our boat.
The water was also just as blue.
 When I woke up this morning, things weren’t looking so great. But what started out as thunderstormy and miserably dreary day turned out to be beautiful and sunny. Our department chartered a private boat for the group and they took us around Antibes, Cannes, and out near an island, where we anchored and swam around for an hour or so. People dove in right from the boat. The water was so crystal clear, you could see all the way to the bottom. It was also freezing.

Everyone eventually made it back on board, despite our director’s fear of instant death by drowning from swimming too soon after eating. Around 8pm we dropped anchor again and the skipper and first/only mate (?) cooked up a paella feast, complete with full on shrimp (heads still intact, beady black lifeless eyes staring up at us from a pile of rice). Of course cheese and dessert courses followed.

The night ended with an extreme dance off between two guys in our program. Somewhere out there, there is video evidence of this.

We were out for about 8 hours total, and surprisingly my sickeningly pale complexion managed to not attract every UV ray in the sky. I’m only “pretty pink” instead of “sizzling fresh off the grill.”

No comments:

Post a Comment