Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Picking up the pieces of my dignity


 
Today the tram doors attacked me.

I’m pretty sure it was actually even more embarrassing than I think it was. I was listening to my ipod on my way to school, waiting at the tram stop. Some woman with a stroller was taking forever and a day to get on the tram, so I had to slip in behind her at the last minute. Unfortunately that didn’t work out as well as I hoped.

As the doors closed on me, I felt myself let out a scream, but I really don’t know how loud it was, because of my ipod. I do know that when I squeezed myself the rest of the way through, the entire car was looking at me, so I imagine I may have yelled louder than was necessary. I've made it unscathed for over 4 months, and of course it happens my last week of being here!

How do you come back from that? I tried really hard, but there’s no way to salvage your dignity. It's kind of like when my cat attempts do do something graceful and fails horribly. You just pretend not to notice as she picks herself up and slinks away into the shadows. Unfortunately, slinking was not an option for me. The best I could do was put on my sunglasses, pretend to read the newspaper, and count the stops til I could finally get off that violent tram car.

No comments:

Post a Comment