Sunday, February 20, 2011

Carnival Crazies


I’ve been shirking my blogging duties for the past two days, and I intend to make up for it now. Goldfish/Octopus mascots everywhere. Carnival is officially underway, and Nice is insane. I don’t have any pictures because several people have warned me that the crowd is swarming with pickpockets and I thought it was best to leave my camera at home.

So it seems like Carnival isn’t actually for the people that live here. Instead, it’s catered to tourist who come and are willing to spend crazy amounts of money to sit on bleachers and listen to a thumping bass beat and see a giant goldfish parade around the town square…or maybe an octopus, who knows?   

Creepy, huh? -Google image


It’s not that I have a problem with this. In fact, if it was free I’d probably check it out too, but I do have a problem with paying to see it. And believe me, the city of Nice has ensured that if you don’t pay, it’s extremely difficult to even catch a glimpse of what’s going on…unless you walk to the end of the street and see all the floats as they’re leaving the parade.  They’ve put up all these barricades and walls that make it almost impossible to see anything in the square, but walking about 100 yards gets you a perfectly good view of everything. Granted that 100 yard walk is like a gauntlet of silly string and confetti and creepy people in disguise. Despite the creepiness and the fact that it takes about 3x longer to walk anywhere than usual, it’s actually really awesome to take part in all the excitement… I’ve been pulling confetti out of my hair for the past 24 hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment