Saturday, February 26, 2011

The hazards of being without coffee


We've been out of coffee for 5 days. Two things have resulted from this: First off, the hot beverage vending machine and I have become even better friends. Second, I have filled the void with something almost as good as coffee: gelato. I recently tasted the most amazing gelato known to man. Get ready for this. The winning flavor: salted caramel butter. I know it sounds weird, but it’s this great mix of salty and sweet, cold and creamy…basically just heaven in a waffle cone. The prices aren’t bad, and best of all; it’s just 2 blocks from my house! I pass it on my walk to school every day. (PS-I am questioning whether or not that semi colon should be there...I think not, but Word seems to think it's necessary.)

First, I felt lucky. There are so many gelato shops around here with mediocre quality and skimpy scoops. I can’t believe the best one in town is right here beside me. They don’t skimp. And now that I know that the salted caramel butter flavor exists, I’ve been on the lookout and realized it’s nowhere to be found except for at this particular shop. Twice a day every day I walk by the shop, scanning the flavors just to make sure they still have salted caramel butter.

But the proximity of this gelato shop to my house is starting to feel like a curse…I want the salted caramel butter all the time. I need it! And there it is, every day, like a tease in the store window. A delicious tasty tease. But I know I can’t just willy nilly have gelato whenever I feel like it. It’s just not healthy. I think if I had gelato as often as I wanted it, it would be seeping out of my pores along with the garlic. I’m also relatively certain that I’d develop diabetes, which would result in me having to give up gelato altogether, and that would truly be a tragedy. 



Note to host mom: 
Coffee needs to be purchased soon, lest you find me lying in a puddle of melted gelato passed out in a sugar coma.

1 comment:

  1. HaHaHa! I too have an addictive personality. That gelato sounds yummy.I had a similar experience when I lived in Seattle.Drive thru coffee shops on every corner.I was hopped up on caffeine for a year!Even more than I am now.I do think coffee is an important element in the daily diet,and I'd hate to hear of you being found in a puddle of melted gelato.

    ReplyDelete