Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ginkobiloba




Sophie’s cousin from Paris is here visiting for the week. She got here Saturday night and is staying until Monday. I really like her. She’s “a hoot.”

She’s also really interested in learning English, so tonight before dinner she said “I am thinking we must arrange a deal, you and me. I will cook the dinners for you and me and speak English. And you speak French and we will correct our mistakes.”

I was both thrilled and slightly confused by this statement. I really miss my ESOL students, so having the opportunity to help someone trying to learn English will be great. Too bad she’s only here for a week. Also, hearing French people speaking English is truly an amazing feeling. I’ve been here for a month, royally butchering 50% of everything I try to say. I’m learning a ton, but it’s truly exhausting hearing French all day and having to put so much effort into everything you want to say. I go to bed physically and mentally drained every single night. It’s easy to get discouraged, and hearing my host family try to speak English puts things back into perspective and reminds me that I’m not a moron and that learning another language is hard for everyone!

I was also confused as to why Anne would make dinner for just the two of us when we usually have 4-6 people for dinner. As the evening progressed, so did my confusion. First, they kept talking about the weather in Venice. I assume this is because it’s Carnival and they’re just curious. Then Sophie said something about needing to pack her suitcase, but by suitcase I figured she meant an overnight bag (She’s been sleeping at her boyfriend’s place because Anne is allergic to cats, so Sophie gave Anne her bedroom and poor Plume has been banished to the tiny living room for the week.). Then Sophie asked me if I knew where Plume’s food was and how much she ate. John also told me she prefers fresh water so make sure to refill her dish every day. So now I’m really wondering what’s happening. Sophie brings out a pretty big suitcase and started filling it up and I finally just ask where she’s going.

Turns out she’s going to Venice for work. Apparently she mentioned it but I have zero recollection of that conversation. I also have a terrible memory (It's in my genes. My mother should have taken more ginkobiloba before I was born!) and am therefore not surprised.

So looks like it’s just Anne and me for the next few days. And Chloé…but she’s very rarely home anyway.  I’m actually looking forward to getting to know Anne a little better. I’m hoping to squeeze in some English lessons and who knows…I’m going to Paris soon and it’s always good to have connections. :)

This is a picture from the perfume factory that we toured a couple weeks ago that I've been meaning to post and keep forgetting about.
 

1 comment:

  1. So, then you're abandoning Anne to go to Italy for the weekend? That's just mean. HaHa

    ReplyDelete