Sunday, March 20, 2011

Potterheads




I think that Chloé and I have entered into a new phase of our relationship as host sister and fake foreign sister.

I know I’ve mentioned it before- I think she’s very nice, but we just don’t have a lot in common. Also she speaks so quickly and is almost 6 years younger than me. It’s always a little strange when we’re both home because the apartment is so small, it’s nearly impossible to leave my bedroom and not be within 5 feet of whoever else is here. In such close proximity, not talking is just awkward. Also this is seriously hindering my lounging around in my pjs all day routine. I see people here (other than Lori) and feel like I have to be semi-presentable. Usually I do the half smile, nod, and shuffle awkwardly through the room thing, all the while wishing I could be shuffling through and not caring in my sweat pants.

Earlier this week en route to the kitchen I saw Chloé watching TV. It was in French, but it seemed so familiar. All of the sudden it clicked. I asked,
Me: Are you watching Harry Potter?
Chloé: Yes, I love it! Do you want to watch with me?
Me: I don’t know…I have a lot of homework…
Chloé: So do I! Come on, just for a while.

And so we watched Harry Potter. It was the first time we’ve really done much of anything together, and ever since then she’s been a little more chatty and it’s made my shuffling a little less awkward.

So Sophie’s been out of town for the weekend, Chloé’s been out and about as usual, and I’ve pretty much had the run of the apartment, which has been glorious. I haven’t really been home alone in such a long time! But yesterday I was laying on my bed with my ankle propped up on a stack of pillows and Chloé came home, which was a surprise. She popped her head into my room to say hello and saw my ankle and was just so sweet about it. She brought me an ice pack and approximately 8 different types of medicine to choose from (They all seemed the same to me.). She was going to a choral concert and was just stopping by to change. She invited me to come along, too! Unfortunately my mangled cankle made that impossible, but I appreciated the offer.

This is the amazing part. When Chloé got back home a few hours later, she saw that my ankle looked even worse and offered to give me a foot massage. Can you believe that? Fortunately, I had foresight. I anticipated people looking at my foot, so one of the few things I dragged myself out of bed to do yesterday was to give myself a pedicure…good thinking!

She rummaged around in our cabinet full of grape seed extract, herbal teas, and strange balms and found some eucalyptus oil that she said would reduce the inflammation. Since my foot was, at the time, way too swollen to even put on a flip flop properly, I took her up on her offer. I’m certainly glad that I did, because it really seemed to make a difference. We popped in Harry Potter again and after spending a good half hour working on the foot and chit chatting about which Weasley is best (Papa Weasley), Hermione’s hair, and how Neville Longbottom may have turned out if he had been the chosen one (see below), Chloé wrapped my foot in an ace bandage.

So it turns out we do have something in common. We’ve got a good solid wizarding foundation and two months left to build on it! 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- bringing people together one sprained ankle at a time.  

Neville-The early years...
Modern Neville...looks like he did just fine, Chosen one or not.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love Harry Potter! Those movies are definitely good for children of all ages and cultures. I'm glad you and Chloe had a chance to get to know each other a little better. Now you have a little foundation to build on and you won't have to walk on eggshells around her. Feel Better! Did they really have peas in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Co-incidentally, they are doing Harry Potter weekend on the family channel here.I am, as we speak, enjoying the Order of the Phoenix. Good Times!

    ReplyDelete