Monday, March 28, 2011

What is the noun form of "swashbuckling?"


I just finished watching a movie with my host mom. I’m not exactly sure what it was, and neither was she. After dinner I was doing some dishes and she came into the kitchen to tell me there was a “swashbuckling” movie that was coming on.

Since I love a good ole’ fashioned swashbuckling, I immediately abandoned the dishes for the TV. Besides, I was down to the silverware, and that’s the most pesky part of doing the dishes anyway, right?

I was really hoping it was an actual French version of The Three Musketeers, my all-time favorite book and one of my favorite movies. The Disney version, featuring Chris O’Donnell, Oliver Platt, Kiefer Sutherland, and pre-“tiger blood and Adonis DNA” Charlie Sheen…oh, yes sir!

Turns out it was not The Three Musketeers, but a film based on another Alexandre Dumas book. Sophie and I both missed the name of the movie, so I have no idea which one it was. Process of elimination also proved ineffective for trying to guess, since the plot whittled my choices down from around 15 potential books to 14 (I was pretty quick to deduce that it wasn't The Count of Monte Cristo, since there was nary a count to be found.). It was typical French musketeer-era shenanigans…Catholics and Protestants fighting, someone trying to overthrow the king, pretty young feisty woman married off to the crusty old mean guy who is in cahoots with the group trying to overthrow the king, etc….

So this movie came on basic cable right after the 8:00 news, and it was full of naked people. Every other scene featured someone’s wobbly/dangly bits that would never make it on TV back home. I have no problem with this, but I was cracking up and thinking to myself that by the time they censored out enough nudity to make it appropriate for American TV, I'm pretty sure the whole movie probably could have fit into a commercial break.   

Charlie Sheen at his best. The Three Musketeers (~1993).
  

1 comment:

  1. HaHa! Too funny! It would seem that swashbuckeling is another word for full frontal nudity. A long series of wardrobe malfunctions?

    ReplyDelete