Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"I'm a monster!"



Today Chloé and I had another bonding moment over the keyboard that has recently turned up in our living room. At first, I was really excited about it- the keyboard, that is. But that was waaaay back when I assumed that someone who lived here actually knew how to play.

It’s becoming a nuisance.

But this evening I was surprised to come home to something other than cacophony. It was no Mozart by any means, but it was listen-able. Chloé was at the keyboard and her hours…and hours…and hours…. of practice have apparently paid off. I told her it sounded pretty good and was jealous that she picked it up so fast, to which she replied that her friend had been working with her. She asked if I wanted to learn how to play and I figured that would be interesting. She pulled another stool up to the keyboard and unknowingly began a futile attempt to teach me how to play something barely more complicated than “Mary had a little lamb.”

Let me tell you, this is one instance when having what have been described by some people as “creepy baby hands” is disadvantageous. It sure was a challenge to try to reach all the keys I was supposed to be reaching with one hand. I was also afraid to move my hand because I knew that as soon as I did, I’d never find my way back to home row position…(Do they refer to piano keys like that, or is home row a term just for keyboards?). I tried really hard to stretch my pinkie over to hit a note without taking my thumb off of the main key I was using, but it was impossible. Then I’d get lost and Chloé would have to help me find my way back again. She also kept tsk-tsking me for using the wrong fingers, plucking them off the keyboard and moving them to the appropriate places. It was completely useless for her to even bother, but an amusing experience. I seriously think that Buster Bluth would have done better than me.


I just don’t think these hands are built for piano. Oh well, back to something I’m good at, like reaching into vending machines…

Kidding-I never actually do that unless my chips get stuck! 

Also I just google imaged "creepy baby hands" to find a funny picture for this post. Big mistake-I'm really weirded out now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment