Thursday, March 17, 2011

Switcharoos



As I was rummaging around for some breakfast this morning, I stumbled across a box of the French version of coco puffs. They were exactly the same thing, but they had a fancy French name (and are therefore much more classy?). Ok, maybe not classier, but there was no creepy bird with crazy eyes on the front of the box, so I figured they had to be at least a bit tastier. Plus they were organic or something.

Sadly, we were out of oatmeal and I resigned myself to eating the coco puffs. As I was munching on the chocolate coated organic cardboard and being secretly pleased that at least I got some chocolate soy milk out of the deal, I noticed that the back of the box featured The Incredibiles. The funny thing is, they were called “The Indestructible.” In fact, I’ve seen quite a few movie title switcharoos like that around here. I understand changing the American movie titles here in France to something that’s, you know, French. But most of the time they change the title, but it’s still in English, which is really amusing.

Examples:

The Incredibles =  The Indestructible
-This makes no sense to me, since the French word for incredible is incroyable. Why bother?

No Strings Attached= Sex Friends
-This is a pretty new movie. I suppose the French title is just a little more straight to the point. Still, it’s funny to see “Sex Friends” advertisements and billboards posted around town.

Animal House = American College
-I shudder to think that what goes on in that movie could be considered typical “American College” life. Although I don’t know. ..I’ve never lived in a dorm... 




2 comments:

  1. As there are grammar Nazis, so are film Nazis also present. Animal House is about a rebellious fraternity rather than dorm life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, well I've never been a part of a rebellious sorority :P . Suppose I just meant campus life just isn't my thing.

    ReplyDelete