Monday, March 14, 2011

A Slippery Slope




Tonight my favorite of Sophie’s friends came over for dinner. It was just the three of us because Chloé was at kung fu. Her absence makes it easier for me to carry on a dinner conversation since I only understand about 50% of what she says. Don’t get me wrong, she’s very nice. I do like her…although I’m sad to report that today she broke the coffee mug that I just bought myself a couple weeks ago. It shattered into a million pieces and she felt terrible about it. I’m secretly way more bummed out than I should be, but I don’t want to make her feel any worse about it.

Anyway, dinner was tasty and it came up in conversation that I have never been skiing before. This came as a huge shock to Sophie and her friend since we’re so close to the Alps and everyone around here skis. I told her I was invited to go yesterday but I decided against it for a couple reasons. A- I don’t have any proper skii gear.... at least I don’t think my pleather coat and jeans are appropriate attire for hitting the slopes. And B- I was talking to a friend who just came back from her maiden ski voyage. She was telling me it hurt, she fell all the time, her feet kept getting stuck, and that if I decide to go to  pay the extra 3 euros for accidental death and serious injury insurance.

Sophie told me that I should have asked her and she would have lent me her ski stuff. It was a generous offer, but I’m starting to think I’m just not meant to ski. One of my earliest memories is of my parents going on an anniversary ski trip and both coming back injured. When I mentioned this to Sophie she told me I just needed to take a short tutorial. She wants to go on April 3rd if there is a class available. She said she doesn’t want to ski, but she’ll sit at the bottom and eat French fries with mustard while I struggle. Very encouraging. This is what happens when I decide to talk during dinner…


-These are pics from a photography exhibit I went to yesterday. Artist is August Sander (German). Most of the pictures were taken in the 1920s. All of his photographs are divided into 7 groups, each group featuring a specific type of person. Groups included "Women, Manual Laborers, The Disabled, The Sick and Dying," and a few other categories. I had to go for a class, but I really liked it. Don't mind the glare in some of them...they are not the greatest because I wasn't sure if I was allowed to take pics, so I was being sneaky about it.  

My favorite-an early feminist, according to on-site expert
Don't mind my hand. Circus people.
Blind children
"Elegant woman"



Disabled
Old

1 comment:

  1. Excellent photographs! They are clearly "French" Every one of the people has a cigarette. I think even the blind children were in search of.

    ReplyDelete