Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Time warps and wormholes...


I can’t believe I’ve been here an entire month…time is so strange here. If I didn’t refuse to believe in such things, I’d be partially convinced by now that I was in some sort of creepy sci-fi time warp…or would that be a worm hole? I don’t know. Regardless, time’s simultaneously flying by and dragging on forever. I’m almost ¼ of the way done! Though it’s only been a month, we’ve been so busy it seems impossible that we’ve crammed so much activity into just a few short weeks. 

I was going to post a picture of a wormhole, but the Google image search frightened me.


So now that I’ve settled into a routine, I’ve noticed a few things from home that I really miss. Obviously family, friends, and cats are a given… but I’ve found that the little things are what seem to make the biggest difference on a day to day basis. So here are a few of them, listed in no particular order:

1)   Decent sized mugs- Like everything else here, including the people, the coffee mugs are tiny. Most of them seem to be about 6 or 8oz (Akash- that is 177.441- 236.588 ml). Really the same goes for all drinking vessels here. I have to refill my water glass at dinner like 8 times. I’ve started just bringing my water bottle to the table. 

I bought myself a big mug. So adorable, I couldn't resist.

It was on sale too!


2)   A vacuum and broom from this century- The broom just does not work. I don’t know what else to say about it. It’s old and worn out and the bristles are all matted together. It’s also too bulky to get into the corners of a room and the vacuum seems to spit more dirt out than it picks up.
3)   The flat sheet- I don’t know what it is about this place, but the French don’t seem to believe in the flat bed sheet. You get the fitted one that goes on the mattress, and then the comforter. Nothing in between. This is upsetting to me because often I’m either too hot or too cold in the night. The top sheet provides the perfect balance and is, in my opinion, a necessity.
4)   Shower with ample hot water-Don’t even get me started. You know my thoughts on the shower. If not, refer to February post “If It’s Yellow…”
5)   Ergonomic memory foam neck pillow for side sleepers-I’m a grandma with creaky old bones and a stiff neck…need I say more?
6)   Post it notes- This seems like a silly thing to miss, but I use post it notes all the time at home. I went to the store the other day to find some, but one measly block costs over 8 euros, which is ridiculous and costs more than my awesome new mug. Looks like I’ll have to remember my keys and lunch without a neon orange reminder stuck to the door. 

Without post-it note reminders, this could be my future...except that I would never be barefoot.

1 comment:

  1. My mother stopped putting the flat sheet on my bed at home. I don't know if it's because no one sleeps there anymore but when I do sleep there I am in the same boat and have to get an extra blanket out.

    ReplyDelete