Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Willy Nilly





 
I’ve come to realize that the French and American university systems are very different.

Pros-French System:
-Tuition is almost free
-No books
-Classes generally only meet once per week
-2 weeks of spring break

Cons-French System:
-No one is ever there. This goes mainly for administration. You have from 10am to noon or from 1pm-2. If you can’t make it there in that very limited time window, you’re just out of luck. It actually took me almost 3 weeks to turn in my class schedule for the semester.
-I’m thinking this must be a direct result of the first issue…No communication. Professors don’t give out email addresses or a syllabus. No one knows what’s going on. They’re changing class times and schedules willy-nilly, and they must be stopped.

This is a complaint post. I’m sorry. Let it be known that I still love France.

So last week my “scary” teacher tells us “I am going to move our class from Tuesdays 2-4pm to 1-3.”

I just look at her thinking please tell me you’re not serious. I have a 3-hour grammar and literature class from 10-1. I really need that one-hour break in between to scoop my brains off the table and back into my head and prepare myself to withstand her burning stare that makes me feel like I know absolutely nothing in the entire world.

But alas, she was serious. Her lone little dread lock sticking out of the side of her head bobbed in the affirmative, and my Tuesdays got a little bit worse. She realized that this change would mean a few other people in the class and I would actually have 5 straight hours of class, with no break. Her response: “Well, I get bored because I have to wait around for an hour. It’s ok though. You can bring a sandwich.”

OY! So today I brought my sandwich and the 5 of us went straight from literature to writing, only to discover that we were the only ones there. We waited…and waited...and waited. An hour later she showed up and says “What are you all doing here so early?” We remind her that she changed the time of the class and she says “OH! That hasn’t gone into effect yet. Didn’t you guys hear? I couldn’t get a hold of administration in time for them to change it for this week. That will start next week! I told the kids in my other class.”

Well, sorry, you big meanie. Thankfully, I am not in your other class.  Unfortunately, this has proved disadvantageous…for once.

Cat pictures:
Speaking of meanies-this one bit me when I had to move my arm!

No comments:

Post a Comment